Have you ever felt overwhelmed during the month of December with all the stuff that enters your home? The trick I've found helps me is to declutter throughout the month. Will you join me in the Net Zero Decluttering Challenge?
Each day this month I'll share some decluttering tips and ideas so you can end the month with the same number of items in your home (or maybe even less!) than what you started the month with.
Today I'm sharing tips on decluttering your shoes and boots.
Today's Suggested Decluttering Task
Just like yesterday when you decluttered your coats and jackets, it's a good idea to declutter your shoes and boots before having holiday guests over. That way there's more space for your guests' shoes or boots. And you won't have people tripping over piles of shoes in the entry. Ours entry is tiny... it happens even if we only have a small gathering!
Here are some tips for decluttering shoes and boots:
- Donate any shoes or boots that don't fit anyone in your home (that includes shoes that you feel should fit but every time you go to wear them you realize they don't feel comfortable ... yet you hold onto them because they are the right size and you think they'll magically fit again next time)
- Give away any shoes or boots that haven't been worn in a year (you can usually tell by the layer of dust on them)
- Toss any shoes or boots that are too worn to donate or give away
- Decide how many pairs of shoes and boots each family member needs and pare down to that number (e.g. dressy shoes, everyday shoes, exercise shoes, flip flops, dressy boots, playing in the snow boots, etc.). *This will be much more difficult for some of you than others :)
- Let go of shoes that only go with outfits that you no longer have
- For that matter, let go of shoes that only go with one specific outfit... keep shoes that can be worn with multiple outfits so you can wear them more often.
For more tips on decluttering shoes and boots, check out this post:
And for tips on organizing your shoes and boots, check out this post:
Decluttering My Shoes and Boots
My Progress in the #NetZeroClutter challenge
I know we'll have some items coming in later today as we open a few Christmas gifts early. But I'll include them in a later post.
A Special Note About Tomorrow's Post
I know many of you will be offline tomorrow as you celebrate Christmas with your family and friends. I debated about whether to even publish a blog post tomorrow since so few of you will likely be reading it tomorrow.
However, I decided to go ahead and share the post I had originally intended to share... for those of you who aren't as busy tomorrow, or don't celebrate Christmas, or will be celebrating on a different day... and especially for those of you who will be overwhelmed with all the new stuff that will arrive tomorrow.
So if you're around, feel free to check out the post! And if you're not, it will still be there later in the day or the next day when you're back and ready to declutter :)
Enjoy your day tomorrow, whatever you do! Whether you declutter or not :) Merry Christmas!!
What's Next For You?
Take some time today to declutter your shoes and boots. Or anything you'd like to declutter! Take some pictures and share your progress on social media using the hashtag #NetZeroClutter. Let me know how you're doing in the challenge so I can cheer you on!
Sign up to receive my blog posts by email so you get each day's post in your email inbox every morning. You can unsubscribe after the challenge is over if you don't want to continue receiving my blog posts by email.
I'd also love for you to join our 365 Items in 365 Days Facebook group as you do this challenge! You'll be able to share with others what you're decluttering and feel encouraged and inspired by everyone else who is also decluttering!
If you'd like more decluttering ideas, you can check out my Decluttering/Purging Tips & Ideas board on Pinterest.
So that's today's post in the Net Zero Decluttering Challenge! I'm enjoying doing this challenge and I'm excited to have you join me. I love hearing all the stories of how much more you're enjoying your holidays because you're not overwhelmed by all the stuff in your home!
How many shoes and boots did you let go of today? How can you keep your closet and entry area from becoming cluttered?
I link up at these great parties - Check them out!
Here are all the posts in this challenge in case you missed any or want to share some with your friends or family!